Are you looking for a healthy meal to recover from a weekend of over-indulgence?? That is exactly what I was looking for and this salad does just the trick. (I will share my weekend indulgence recipe soon, because it was AMAZING.) But first, this salad is perfect for making on a Sunday and having ready for dinner during the week. I had been looking for a recipe to try to learn to like kale, since it seems to be the “super-food” that cures everything these days. This salad is the perfect segway dish, with every bite, I cannot believe how delicious and refreshing it is! I really like buying the kale at Trader Joe’s in a bag that comes with it already chopped up:
My friend Denise taught me a great trick: Massage the kale in your hands, just give it a few squeezes like a stress ball, to reduce the toughness.
The first time I made this salad, I used mango. This time, the mangos weren’t ripe, so I tried it with nectarines, which was equally great. I would definitely use them again.ThreeApplesADay Ingredients ¾ cup quinoa 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth ½ cup water 4 chicken breasts (grilled or pre-cooked, sliced or cubed) 1 mango (or nectarine/another fruit you like) 1 red bell pepper ¼ cup chopped green onion 2-3 handfuls kale leaves, chopped ¼ – ½ cup cilantro, to taste, chopped ¼ – ½ cup mint, to taste, chopped (I left this out because I don’t like mint) 3 T lemon juice Lemon zest 3 T olive oil 1 ½ T red wine vinegar Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a saucepan with water and chicken or vegetable broth and quinoa. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and cool in refrigerator (best to make ahead of time if possible, so it’s chilled when ready to eat).
2. Dice mango and red bell pepper. Massage and chop kale, and chop scallions, cilantro, and mint.
3. Whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
4. Toss the quinoa with the dressing, add all of the other diced/chopped ingredients, and top with chicken.
5. Garnish with cilantro, mint, and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.